Apricot on the Half-Shell
- 10 fresh apricots
- 1/2 cup orange juice and pulp
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- 2 drops almond extract
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons low-fat cottage cheese, pressed through a sieve
- orange peel for garnish
- * Use a sharp paring knife to slice apricots in half, then remove the pits and stems. In a large bowl, combine orange juice, cinnamon, almond extract, and maple syrup. Add apricots and toss until they're well coated. Then let them marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat broiler.
- * Remove apricots from the bowl, reserving marinade. Fill each apricot half with about l/2 tablespoon of cheese and set on a baking sheet. Broil until lightly speckled brown, about 4 minutes.
- * Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat marinade over high heat until thick and reduced by half.
- * Arrange apricot halves in small dessert dishes and drizzle some sauce over each. Garnish with orange peel and serve warm for dessert, breakfast, or brunch.
- * Makes 4 servings