Burghul with meat recipe
- 1 cup coarse burghul, washed well and drained
- 1/2 cup canned chickpeas, washed and drained
- 16 ounces lamb stew meat, cubed
- 16 ounces small onions, peeled
- 2 tablespoons shortening or butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground caraway
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt, as desired
- Fried pine nuts, for garnishing
- • Fry meat with 1 tablespoon of shortening.
- • Cover with water. Cook for 2 hours.
- • Remove scum as it appears.
- • Fry onion with shortening and with a dash of salt and caraway until soft.
- • Add chickpeas and 2 cups of water.
- • Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- • Stir-fry burghul in the remaining shortening on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- • Add to burghul 1 cup of meat stock, 1 cup of onion stock and the remaining spices.
- • Cook all on medium heat until they boil.
- • Lower heat and cook for 20 minutes or until tender.
- • Serve in a platter, garnished with lamb pieces, onion, pine nuts and chickpeas.
- • You can combine meat stock with onion stock and serve beside burghul with meat.
- • If you want stock to be thick add 1 tablespoon of corn flour dissolved in some water.