Burghul with tomato recipe
- 2 cups coarse burghul, washed well and drained
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or shortening
- 32 ounces tomatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup water
- A dash of allspice
- A dash of cinnamon
- A dash of red pepper, as desired
- • Fry onions over low heat till soft.
- • Add tomatoes, water, salt and spices and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- • Add burghul, liquid must cover, so add more water if needed.
- • Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or till water evaporates.
- • Keep covered.
- • Cook over low heat for 15 minutes or till burghul is cooked.
- • Serve hot.