Ingredients for French Loaf
Milk powder 10gms
- Scale the dough into 450gm pieces.
- Expel the gas and mould Swiss roll fashion.
- Allow to recover and then mould to the required length (ex) 45cm (18inch)
- Allow to proof preferably upside down on cloths.
- Transfer to a wooden slip.
- With a sharp knife cut up to five long slits on the top and immediately place into an oven full of wet steam at a temperature of 226°C (440°C).
- After 10 minutes baking remove the steam and finish baking in dry heat for a further 15 to 20 minutes.
- Notes: Like Vienna bread this bread should be eaten fresh to be fully appreciated. Even after six hours the crust begins to become leathery and UN appetizing.