Lima bean stew recipe
- 16 ounces dried or fresh lima beans, soaked in water for one night
- 14 ounces stewing meat, cubed
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 3 tablespoons shortening or butter
- 1 tablespoon salt
- A dash of ground allspice
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed with 1/2 cup finely chopped coriander
- • Fry meat with 1 tablespoon of shortening until golden brown.
- • Put meat in a generous quantity of water in a pot.
- • Cook over medium heat for 2 hours.
- • Cook beans in double its amount of salted water.
- • Remove and drain.
- • Fry beans in the remaining shortening for 3 minutes.
- • Add meat, meat stock, tomato juice, salt and allspice.
- • Cover and cook for 30 minutes. Add water if necessary.
- • Fry coriander and garlic till fragrant for 2 minutes.
- • Add to beans mixture.
- • Cook for 1 minute.
- • Serve beans hot, accompanied with cooked rice.