Stuffed gourds and eggplants recipe
- 24 ounces small gourds, if small is unavailable cut the large into 4 pieces crosswise
- 24 ounces purple black, long eggplants
- 1/2 cup short grain rice
- 16 ounces minced meat
- 1 head garlic, peeled and crushed with a dash of salt
- 16 ounces tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground dried mint
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- A dash of ground black pepper and ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon shortening or vegetable oil
- 1/2 tablespoon salt, as desired
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- • Peel gourds. Roll eggplants on a smooth surface.
- • Remove stems. Core with a special corer, wash and drain.
- • Filling: Mix meat, onion, rice and season well.
- • Stuff eggplants and gourds. Do not overstuff.
- • Arrange in a pot. Sprinkle salt.
- • Add tomatoes, garlic, mint, lemon juice, shortening and water to cover.
- • Cook over high heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat.
- • Cook till tender for about 2 hours. Serve hot.