Swiss chard leaves stuffed with meat recipe
- 48 ounces Swiss chard
- 1 cup short grain rice
- 14 ounces minced meat
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup shortening or butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- A dash of ground paprika
- A dash of ground cinnamon
- 3 cups water
- • Remove Swiss chard roots.
- • Blanch leaves in boiling water for few seconds.
- • Remove with slotted spoon and put in cold water, then place in a colander.
- • Repeat the same procedure with remaining leaves.
- • Mix rice with minced meat, spices and salt.
- • Place a Swiss chard leaf, shiny side down, on a work surface.
- • Cut into 2 or 3 pieces, depending on size of leaf.
- • Place crosswise about a tablespoon of stuffing, depending on size of leaf.
- • Fold ends and roll firmly.
- • Repeat with remaining leaves.
- • Place 1/2 cup of shortening in a heavy pan.
- • Pack leaf rolls close together in layers.
- • Invert a heavy plate on top to keep rolls in shape during cooking.
- • Add lemon juice, 3 cups of water and a dash of salt.
- • Place pan over moderate heat, bring to a boil.
- • Lower heat and cook for 45 minutes or until tender.
- • Serve hot accompanied with cooked Swiss chard stems in sesame paste.