Tomato stew recipe
- 32 ounces stew meat, diced
- 64 ounces ripe tomatoes, peeled, diced
- 16 ounces eggplants, peeled, cut into long thick pieces
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup fried pine nuts
- 3 tablespoons shortening or butter
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- • Put half shortening in a pot, fry meat till brown, add 1 liter of water, salt and cinnamon and bring mixture to a boil.
- • Let it simmer for 2 hours or till meat is tender.
- • Fry potato in oil until golden.
- • Remove and put on absorbent paper.
- • Sprinkle salt on eggplant pieces.
- • Place aside for 1 hour.
- • Fry eggplants in hot oil till brown.
- • Drain on absorbent paper towels.
- • When stock is reduced to half, add tomatoes, potatoes and eggplants.
- • Cover and simmer over low heat till stock thickens.
- • Adjust salt according to your taste.
- • Garnish with fried pine nuts.
- • Serve hot with cooked rice.